The purpose of an audit is to ensure proper job classification of a position. The audit also provides an opportunity to maintain communication with managers and employees.
PROCEDURE FOR CLASSIFICATION REVIEW
- Immediate Supervisor: Submits a request for classification review to Human Resources at email@example.com. Request should include employee’s name and employee number. Audit packet will be sent directly to the supervisor. Please note: Employee must have completed their working test period and obtained or hold permanent status in the classified system. Temporary/Durational employees cannot be reclassified through the audit process.
- Employee: Completes the job audit packet in its entirety and forwards to immediate supervisor.
- Immediate Supervisor: Reviews content, makes comments (as needed), signs and prints name on reverse side of Duties Questionnaire Form. Forwards packet to Dean, Director or Department Head for second signature.
- Dean, Director, or Department Head: Reviews content, signs and prints name on reverse side of Duties Questionnaire Form and returns completed packet to Human Resources, Unit 5075.
- Human Resources: Reviews completed packet and determines if further clarification is needed from employee and/or supervisor. If additional information is needed, an on-site audit may be scheduled.Human Resources analyzes audit request and makes recommendation for appropriate classification. The recommendation may be for a promotion, lateral title change, or it may be determined that the current classification is consistent with the job duties.
If the recommended title is not on the Decentralized Classification Authority Agreement, audit materials will be submitted to Department of Administrative Services for review.
Human Resources issues final audit results to immediate supervisor. If audit determines a title or salary change, results will include the Compensation and Classification Analysis Summary Sheet. Department has the option to approve reclassification and promote employee or remove higher level duties and maintain employee’s current classification.
All audits resulting in a position change must be signed in accordance with the University’s two-signature policy.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING AUDIT PACKET
- Duties Questionnaire Form (PER-130) – Employees must use this form to list current job duties. If additional space is needed after completing the DQ you may then attach an additional sheet to the packet. Please note that the total percent of time must equal 100 percent.
- State of Connecticut Application for Examination or Employment (CT-HR-12) – Employees must use this form to list all applicable employment history. Please note that if you have held two different position titles in one department, they should be listed separately.
- Current Organizational Chart – A current organizational chart must be attached. An organizational chart should demonstrate the positions in the department (not the employees). The position being reviewed should be highlighted.
Human Resources will not accept audit packets that do not include a completed Duties Questionnaire (DQ) and Application for Examination or Employment (CT-HR-12). Both forms should be completed thoroughly.