Payroll Title: UCP VI
Class Code: 0647-9086
Job Family: COM
FLSA Code: E
Under the general direction of designated supervisor, supervises and creates biological illustrations, requiring detailed knowledge of form and design and broad knowledge of plant and animal taxonomy to support research, scholarly publishing and teaching activities in an academic department; coordinates undergraduate registration and advising.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Consults with faculty regarding enrollments and special priorities; determines class size, priorities and recommends additional sections within guidelines.
- Serves as liaison between department majors, faculty and Registrar’s office.
- Assigns faculty advisors to undergraduates and maintains appropriate files and records.
- Coordinates and oversees registration and scheduling of departmental undergraduates and graduate students.
- Supervises departmental illustration service; schedules work and sets priorities; monitors budget and assures adequate inventory of equipment and supplies; oversees work of illustrator and student labor.
- Advises undergraduates regarding academic rules and regulations, admission and graduation requirements, exemptions, substitutions and other academic requirements or specialized courses of study.
- Creates lifelike biological illustrations of plant and animal specimens or of parts of plants and animals.
- Creates schematic and generalized drawings based on specimens or photomicrographs of a wide variety of subjects such as eyes, nerve fibers, embryos.
- Constructs diagramatic drawings of scientific instruments and equipment, by means of mechanical drafting.
- Produces graphs from rough draft form, assuring balance and clear relationships.
- Produces maps which can be copied, reduced or enlarged; determines symbols, lettering size and style.
- Produces complex charts depicting relationships, three dimensional graphs and simple to complex molecular diagrams.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in illustration and minor in biology OR Bachelor’s degree in Biology and minor in illustration
- Evidence of creative and technical ability as demonstrated by portfolio.
- 1-2 years related experience.
- Good communications skills and ability to relate well to students and faculty
- Knowledge of academic programs in area to be served
Date Created: 6/28/85
Date Revised: 9/03/99