Payroll Title: UCP VIII
Class Code: 0854-9088
Job Family: DPS
FLSA Code: E
Under the general direction of designated supervisor or faculty member, provides advanced level technical leadership as well as advanced level program support for a department, organizational unit or research project which uses extensive data bases and complex data systems for academic research or administrative purposes.
GUIDELINES FOR USING THE POSITION
This position serves a dual purpose, i.e., the focus of the job is to design and manage the most effective data management system in support of departmental/unit/project needs and to provide Master’s level program expertise to support department/unit/project program objectives. Data is extensive and systems are complex, and incumbent must frequently exercise initiative and judgment and be able to independently resolve complex technical as well as subject area/program problems.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyzes data needs, methods of collection and analytical requirements; designs appropriate data management systems to meet those needs; defines logical structure of file and relationship of data elements to most effectively record and analyze data.
- Develops and maintains a system of data quality control to assure integrity and security of data.
- Evaluates and selects most efficient and effective hardware and software or programming languages to meet department needs.
- Tests, codes, debugs and documents systems; develops comprehensive technical flow charts and written documentation for operation of systems.
- Makes complex modifications to data base system, as needed to correct design problems or to meet changing needs.
- Plans and implements data processing interfaces and data transfer systems with other University and external data processing systems.
- Writes or supervises writing of computer programs for mainframe or micro-computers.
- Trains users and other staff in use of database, micro and mainframe computers, various software and statistical packages and other technical matters.
- Participates in planning and implementing program activities and other projects related to program objectives.
- Participates in methods design in determining most suitable experimental techniques and in analysis of data.
- Conducts data and other statistical analyses and prepares reports for use by supervisor, principal investigators or other staff, as appropriate.
- Serves as a program resource and provides technical leadership to students, staff and others.
- Performs special assignments as needed to achieve program objectives.
- Supervises data entry operations and may be responsible for other office operations, as assigned.
- If applicable, reviews and recommends changes in internal operating procedures to improve data processing function; assists in planning policies, procedures and implementation strategies.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree in program specialty or analytical discipline appropriate to department to be served; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive technical experience with complex data systems.
- Demonstrated ability to design and manage complex data base systems, which includes extensive knowledge of software packages, programming languages, processing techniques and hardware capabilities.
- Advanced knowledge and/or experience in programs specific to department or program to be served.
- Ability to work with a variety of complex operating systems, data storage and retrieval mechanism and data base environments.
- Ability to regularly exercise independent judgment and initiative with regard to complex technical and program functions.
Date Scored: 10/30/1985