Payroll Title: UCP V
Class Code: 0544-9085
Job Family: DPS
FLSA Code: E
Under the direction of designated supervisor, provides technical and program support for a department, organizational unit or research project which uses an extensive data base for academic research or administrative purposes.
GUIDELINES FOR USING THE POSITION
This position serves a dual purpose, i.e., the focus of the job is to 1) maintain, program, organize and manipulate an extensive data base to meet the data processing and analytical or research needs of the department/ unit/ project and 2) to provide some subject area/program expertise. Incumbents are expected to have both technical computer programming skills as well as a sufficient understanding of the subject area or program to effectively organize data, prepare it for use and to generate the correct data for analysis and other departmental/unit/project uses, and to participate in program activities.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organizes and prepares data for inclusion in the data base, based on an understanding of the data and department needs; cleans and formats, or reformats, data to conform to prescribed standards.
- Manipulates database using software packages as well as original source-language programs.
- Prepares documentation of steps taken and programs written to facilitate analysis of data.
- Selects most appropriate programs or packages based on format constraints, user needs and intended results.
- Prepares data for analysis using software packages and original programs.
- Consults with users and suppliers of data to clarify requests and/or intended use of data and explain results.
- Confers with supervisor to resolve questions of program intent and output requirements.
- Writes and documents computer programs/software packages requiring knowledge of software logic and some programming languages and statistical programs to run analysis of data.
- As assigned, serves as a resource to students, staff and others on selected matters relating to program activities, policies and procedures.
- As assigned, participates in program activities necessary to achieve program objectives.
- May participate in planning and implementing program activities and other projects related to the program objectives.
- May train others in use of data base, or serve as a consultant regarding data base programming and use, if requested by department to be served.
- May supervise data entry and other office operations.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in computing and/or field of study related to the department to be served.
- Experience with use of software packages and/or source-language programs appropriate to the needs of department to be served, e.g., SPSS, SAS as well as experience with interactive systems, e.g., CMS and full-screen editors.
- Experience with, or knowledge of, program activities and subject area sufficient to participate in program activities.
- Ability to work on a variety of projects with a minimum of supervision.
Date Created: 6/28/1985
Date Scored: 4/12/1985