Payroll Title: UCP VII
Class Code: 0774-9087
Job Family: DNS
FLSA Code: E
Under the general direction of designated administrator, provides effective management of one or more units in the University Dining Services operation, as part of the Dining Services management team.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Is responsible for maintaining an efficient and effective food production service system and in ensuring safe and sanitary conditions, in accordance with applicable standards, laws, policies and regulations.
- Is responsible for evaluating and recommending staffing requirements and other personnel matters in assigned dining hall unit(s), in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, budgets and labor contracts; implements approved plans.
- Is responsible for hiring, supervising and evaluating Dining Services staff; determines work schedules and work assignments; serves as first level hearing officer for grievances.
- Controls costs within assigned unit(s) in keeping with approved budget.
- Evaluates need for Dining Services employee training; designs, conducts and supervises training programs.
- Plans menus bases on proper nutrition and knowledge of student acceptance; serves as in-house dietitian and provides nutrition education for students.
- Is responsible for adequate inventory of food and supplies as well as safe and sanitary storage.
- Is responsible for the maintenance of all appropriate records, including fiscal and personnel records, necessary to the proper functioning of assigned Dining Services Unit(s).
- Is responsible for proper maintenance, repair and safe operating condition of equipment; troubleshoots problems, performs minor repairs and arranges for major repairs.
- Works with students and residence hall staff to maximize student satisfaction with dining service and to improve the residence hall experience for students.
- Evaluates Dining Services policies and procedures and makes changes or recommends major changes.
- Conducts tests and evaluates food products and equipment.
- Seeks ways to promote Dining Services meal program and achieve high level of acceptance by students and staff.
Participates in planning of renovations or re-modeling projects; provides on-site monitoring during construction phase.
- Plans and organizes special programs and projects.
- May have special responsibility for training programs, bakery operation, summer or weekend Dining Services meal program or other special operations.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in food service field, such as Foods and Nutrition, Institutional Management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One to three years relevant experience.
- Managerial and organizational ability and strong personnel skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of a university dining services operation, including menu planning, food preparation, sanitation, equipment, merchandising and cost control.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles.
- Public relations skills and creativity.
OTHER DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS
- Registration as Registered Dietitian.