Payroll Title: UCP VIII
Class Code: 0873-09088
Job Family: TLR
FLSA Code: E
Under the general supervision of the Director of Environmental Policy assures environmental compliance with environmental laws, regulations and standards, and conformance with policies, guidelines and procedures.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- .Assists Director with assuring university compliance to regulatory requirements and in obtaining and maintaining valid permits for regulated activities, such as: water discharges, air emissions including Title V and New Source Review, flood management certifications, inland wetlands disturbances, storm water management, site remediation, and land use.
- Assists Director, University staff and consultants with review and/or preparation of reports, applications, plans, and other submittals related to air emissions, UConn’s water supply and waste water treatment system, emergency response, environmental impact evaluations, site assessments, site remediation and landfill closure, vulnerability assessments, and other documents and correspondence.
- Develops, maintains and coordinates implementation of environmental management systems, such as an inventory and calendar of environmental legal and regulatory requirements and commitments, a document control system, and compliance activity reports.
- Prepares informational and educational materials regarding environmental compliance.
- Assists in developing and implementing environmental training and educational programs.
- Conducts audits and site inspections to assure compliance with state and federal environmental laws, regulations and standards and conformance with policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Keeps informed of changes and updates to state and federal environmental laws and regulations, reporting requirements, and technology enhancements and informs the Director and other University staff and contractors about those changes.
- Serves as a resource and provides technical environmental advice and assistance to University staff and contractors and serves as a liaison to State agency staff (i.e., Department of Environmental Protection) regarding planning for and compliance with environmental laws, regulations and standards.
- Participates in the planning, development and implementation of departmental strategic goals and objectives.
- Investigates and responds to incidents and citizen complaints involving environmental compliance issues, and recommends corrective measures and remedial actions.
- Reviews and analyzes compliance history, audit findings, and past practices; identifies problems and makes or recommends changes.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and a minimum of five years of experience in environmental compliance
- Knowledge of principles and practices of environmental protection relevant to state and federal environmental laws and regulations
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to read and interpret statutes, regulations and policies
- Strong computer skills
- Experience implementing an Environmental Management System (EMS), e.g., ISO 14001
Date Scored: 10/21/05