Payroll Title: UCP IV
Class Code: 0424-9084
Job Family: COM
FLSA Code: E
Under the general direction of designated supervisor, independently creates highly complex or technical designs and illustrations for promotional, educational, technical or informational purposes, requiring an advanced level of creative and/or technical skills.
GUIDELINES FOR USING THE POSITION
This position is intended to serve the need for highly skilled designer/illustrators who can work from rudimentary sketches and general descriptions. Incumbents would be expected to independently apply advanced skills to create complex technical illustrations and/or be capable of independently executing the full range of graphic production processes from initial client consultation to finished mechanical.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Independently designs, sketches, arranges and determines elements of graphics for complex design projects such as large multi-paged publications which employ the use of photographs and illustrations, and projects which require multiple overlay and four-color design; designs are often created from general descriptions or outlines.
- Draws and depicts scientifically-exact representations of life-forms, scientific phenomena, research instruments and other complex scientific information, with strict emphasis on measurement, structure, relationships, points of differentiation and identification as required to ensure communication of technical ideas and information accurately and clearly; drawings are often created from general outlines or descriptions.
- Prepares complex camera-ready mechanicals for production; selects photographs or illustrations, chooses style and size of type, prepares layout and paste-up, selects color and paper stock OR Prepares complex camera-ready technical drawings for reproduction in technical publications and reference works, using methods and techniques suited to specific reproduction process or final use and to publisher’s specifications
- Researches ideas and materials presented for design or illustration, and makes decisions regarding proper visual interpretation.
- Recommends ways to meet client’s needs within budget limits; recommends solutions to design problems and explains finished mechanical to client.
- Serves as a consultant to clients and researchers regarding most effective design and techniques to produce desired visual effect.
- Draws three dimensional graphs and charts which visually portray complex relationships and require careful attention to balance and clarity.
- May set up photo shoots or may negotiate with photographers and other illustrators for their services.
- Collaborates with writers, editors and other production staff to produce a coordinated finished product.
- Performs special projects as requested.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field, or equivalent experience and training.
- Two to three years on-the-job experience in graphic design or technical illustration.
- Evidence of creative or technical ability as demonstrated by portfolio.
- Ability to work with clients, take initiative, meet deadlines and work both independently and in collaboration with others.
- Ability to be responsible for multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to solve complex technical or design problems.
Date Created: 6/28/85