Payroll Title: UCP VI
Class Code: 0621-9086
Job Family: COM
FLSA Code: E
Under the general direction of designated supervisor, creates highly complex or technical designs and illustrations for promotional, educational, technical and informational materials; and is responsible for the design of one or more publications or is responsible for coordinating and monitoring the work of a staff of designers.
GUIDELINES FOR USING THE POSITION
This position is intended to serve the need for a highly skilled illustrator who also has supervisory responsibilities and/or primary responsibility for the design and production of a publication. Incumbents must be able to independently execute the full-range of processes from initial client consultation to design through production of finished product.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Independently performs the work of a Graphic Designer/Illustrator II.
- Is responsibilities are for the design of a publication
- Consults with editor and editorial staff regarding publication needs, audience goals, deadlines, budgetary limitations and image to be conveyed.
- Independently plans layout, design and form of publication, exercising originality and creativity in developing proper focus of the publication to generate desired response and draw attention to the publication; is accountable for finished product.
- Prepares formal bid specifications for off-campus printers and screens vendors.
- Reviews and edits copy and manuscripts from various sources submitted for publication; rewrites as needed.
- Oversees production of design work, following-up to ensure standards of quality are met and intended visual image is conveyed.
- If applicable, operates and maintains various equipment such as photo typesetting machine.
- Is responsibilities are to supervise and monitor the work of other designers
- Logs in, assigns work and monitors status of all graphic design projects.
- Supervises graphic designers; reviews and approves the work of less experienced designers.
- Serves as a resource to other designers regarding design projects or in resolving complex design problems.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field, or equivalent experience and training
- At least five years on-the-job experience in graphic arts or related field
- Evidence of creative ability as demonstrated by portfolio
- Good organizational and supervisory skills
- Ability to make decisions, coordinate the work of others in bringing projects to successful completion and work on multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to work with clients, take initiative, meet deadlines and work both independently and in collaboration with others.
- Ability to solve complex technical or design problems.
Date Created: 6/28/85