Payroll Title: UCP IV
Class Code: 0442-9084
Job Family: TLR
FLSA Code: N
Under the general supervision of designated supervisor and/or faculty member, provides technical support for the instructional laboratory programs of an academic department.
GUIDELINES FOR USING THE POSITION
Incumbents in this position are expected to carry out and test the effectiveness of a variety of prescribed laboratory procedures of moderate difficulty. Incumbents would be expected to detect departures from the norm and make standard modifications, with only periodic recourse to supervisor.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares and/or tests moderately difficult laboratory experiments to ensure such experiments will demonstrate the intended scientific principles of procedures for which the experiment was designed.
- Identifies and resolves ordinary problems with methods and techniques to ensure or improve the effectiveness of the demonstrations, with only occasional recourse to supervisor.
- Modifies standard experiments to incorporate new technology.
- Participates in meetings to plan and evaluate lab experiments; assists in evaluating procedures for intended results and makes modifications to incorporate suggestions for improvement.
- Assists in editing and updating lab manuals in assigned area of responsibility, and keeps current on new procedures.
- Prepares reagents, media, stains, enzymes, solutions and other lab supplies or apparatus needed to carry out the laboratory exercise; maintains cultures, collections and other lab needs; if applicable, assists in transporting, treating and marking live animals and instructs others in their safe and humane handling and care.
- Assists student employees in their assigned duties.
- Assists, and may instruct students and instructors with technical problems related to laboratory procedures and equipment.
- Assists in maintaining up-to-date inventory of supplies.
- Sets up and maintains laboratory; assigns equipment, glassware and supplies; assists others in proper and safe use of equipment.
- May be responsible for routine maintenance and minor repair of lab equipment and related apparatus to ensure proper working order.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in technical specialty appropriate to department to be served and 1-3 years experience, or equivalent education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of concepts, practices and standard laboratory procedures, including safety procedures, in the technical specialty.
- Ability to explain laboratory procedures and edit laboratory manuals
Date Created: 6/28/1985
Date Scored: 3/10/1983