Payroll Title: UCP V
Class Code: 0557-9085
Job Family: TLR
FLSA Code: E
Under the direction of designated supervisor and/or faculty member, provides advanced technical support for the instructional laboratory programs of an academic department.
GUIDELINES FOR USING THE POSITION
Incumbents in this position are expected to carry out and test the effectiveness of a variety of prescribed, but reasonably complex, laboratory procedures. Incumbents would be expected to detect and correct subtle technical errors, with minimum recourse to supervisor.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Researches, prepares and/or tests difficult laboratory experiments to ensure such experiments will demonstrate the intended scientific principle or procedure for which the experiment was designed.
- Independently identifies and resolves difficult problems with methods and techniques to ensure or improve the effectiveness of the demonstration.
- Modifies difficult experiments to incorporate new technology.
- Participates in meetings to plan and evaluate lab experiments; assists in evaluating procedures for intended results, recommends improvements and solutions to problems, and modifies experiments accordingly.
- Assists in editing and updating lab manuals in assigned area of responsibility, and keeps current on new procedures.
- Prepares reagents, media, stains, enzymes, solutions and other lab supplies or apparatus needed to carry out the laboratory exercise; maintains cultures, collections and other lab needs; if applicable, transports, treats and marks live animals and instructs others in their safe and humane handling and care.
- May supervise and help train lab aides and student employees in their assigned duties.
- Assists, and may instruct, students and instructors with difficult technical problems related to laboratory procedures and equipment.
- Maintains up-to-date inventory of supplies; determines costs and generates order requests.
- Sets up and maintains laboratory; assigns equipment, glassware and supplies; instructs others in proper and safe use of equipment.
- May be responsible for routine maintenance and minor repair of lab equipment and related apparatus to ensure proper working order.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors degree in technical specialty appropriate to department to be served and 3 or more years experience, or equivalent education and experience.
- Thorough knowledge of concepts, practices and standard laboratory procedures, including safety procedures, in the technical specialty
- Ability to explain laboratory procedures and edit and write laboratory manuals.
- Ability to supervise and train others.
Date Created: 6/28/1985
Date Scored: 3/10/1983