Payroll Title: UCP VII
Class Code: 0726-9087
Job Family: TLR
FLSA Code: E
Under the general direction of a designated supervisor, coordinates and provides technical support for faculty, graduate and undergraduate research in a large research facility.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assigns and coordinates use of all lab equipment and supplies for a large research facility.
- Orders and purchases lab equipment and supplies, processing all necessary paperwork and maintaining appropriate records; follows up on all related purchasing and shipping problems.
- Resolves problems encountered by technicians and graduate students who staff the research laboratory; recommends hiring, assigns workloads and determines work schedule.
- Assists in the design, development and operation of laboratory experiments and analyzes procedures for intended results, as established by faculty member or designated supervisor.
- Monitors progress on project plans for experimental programs executed by the laboratory.
- Evaluates effectiveness of laboratory experiments in consultation with principle investigator, makes modification as necessary.
- Prepares budget requests for laboratory supplies; monitors and approves expenses within approved budget limits.
- Maintains, monitors, insures proper security of and performs minor repairs on scientific lab equipment and is responsible for all maintenance contracts for such equipment.
- Maintains OHSA safety criteria and ensures proper disposal of chemical or biological wastes.
- Supervises and assists in the assembly, disassembly and cleanup of experimental apparatus.
- Prepares reagents, media and laboratory apparatus as needed to carry out experiments.
- Performs special projects as required or assigned.
- Perform related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in discipline appropriate to department to be served.
- Prior experience in research and teaching laboratories.
- Ability to interact with faculty.
- Supervisory ability.
- Sound knowledge of principles of academic discipline to be served and of hazardous waste safety procedures.
OTHER DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION/SKILLS
- Master’s degree in appropriate field
Date Created: 06/85
Date Revised: 12/92