Payroll Title: UCP III
Class Code: 0320-9083
Job Family: TLR
FLSA Code: N
Under the general supervision of designated supervisor or faculty member, constructs, maintains and designs standard and specialized mechanical equipment and instrumentation in support of research and teaching activities.
GUIDELINES FOR USING THE POSITION
Incumbents in this position are expected to work under guidance of supervisor or faculty member, and would be expected to act on own initiative on routine technical matters according to established methods and procedures; innovation limited to which standard method is best.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs, constructs, tests, troubleshoots, and installs standard mechanical devices and instruments or assists in the design of complex instruments.
- Adjusts, aligns, tests, modifies existing research equipment to meet design requirements, e.g. laboratory equipment and unusual test equipment involving the use of machine tools (power and hand), metal bonding equipment (arc, gas, resistance welding).
- Prepares complex mechanical drawings.
- Performs preventive maintenance and repairs, which may be non-routine, on standard instruments and equipment, e.g. fatigue machines, vacuum system, extruder, hydraulic press.
- Discusses layout and functional criteria of equipment with faculty member or supervisor to clarify desired results; provides assistance regarding equipment and component requirements and capabilities; may recommend appropriate equipment for experimental purposes.
- Monitors inventory of supplies.
- Resolves routine design and malfunction problems of mechanical equipment; or assists in resolving complex design and malfunction problems.
- Instructs other users in the proper and safe use of mechanical equipment and devices, e.g. laboratory and shop equipment and tools.
- Keeps informed regarding current developments in the field of mechanics.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Graduate of Technical School with an Associates degree in mechanics or related field AND two years machine apprenticeship and/or one to three years experience in the construction, maintenance, testing, repair and design of scientific or mechanical equipment; OR Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of principles of mechanics.
- Knowledge of the methods and materials used in repair and maintenance of mechanical instruments and devices.
- Ability to read and interpret diagrams and specifications, and to modify mechanical and scientific instruments and devices.
Date Created: 03/87