- The critical knowledge and skills/education and experience that an applicant must have to perform the core responsibilities as indicated in the job duties/responsibilities.
- These qualifications are based on the essential duties and responsibilities of the job and relate to what the employee actually needs to do in the job.
- These qualifications include additional job-related education, experience, skills, competencies, and credentials desired by the hiring department.
- These are not essential to the job but enhance a candidate’s ability to perform the job.
- Applicants who possess these preferred qualifications would be considered top candidates for the position.
- Should be specific enough to narrow down the applicant pool to the most potentially successful candidates but not so restrictive as to limit the consideration of applicants from under-represented groups and applicants with non-traditional career paths.