Payroll Title: UCP III
Class Code: 0323-9083
Job Family: DPS
FLSA Code: E
Under the supervision of designated supervisor, implements networking system moves, adds and changes, assists with primary diagnostics and testing, documents installation and maintains networking systems for the Computer Center’s network services and operations to academic, administrative and student users. This position generally maintains Open Systems Interconnect Standard (OSI) Physical and Link Layer networking for either voice, video, broadcast or data networks.
GUIDELINES FOR USING THIS POSITION
This position is intended for individuals with limited experience but who show a high level of technical potential.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides daily technical support to the voice, video and/or data networking groups at the University’s main and regional campus locations including implementation and maintenance of network systems at each campus.
- Provides technical direction and assistance to Network Support staff.
- Analyzes and diagnoses network problems for a variety of users, recommends corrective solutions to be applied to network hardware or software.
- Prepares as-built documentation of implemented network facilities including voice, data and video network systems.
- Assists with ensuring the continuous, uninterrupted availability and functionality of the University’s network systems and responds to emergency network outages and repair requests and/or off-peak network implementations as required for maintaining optimum service levels with minimal interruptions to users and network downtime.
- Assists with integrating and implementing network systems including physical network placement, topology design and interconnection design.
- Provides assistance in effective support and liaison on network problems/activities among the user and vendor service personnel.
- Prepares and maintains logs, reports and statistical data including minor report generation.
- Maintains routine security of network facilities and makes routine repairs to equipment.
- Performs other duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Associates Degree or certificate in a related field or equivalent combination of training and experience. General technical aptitude in electronics, computers or networking.
- One to two years’ network related experience, which includes working directly with network or computer systems.
- Requires knowledge of network hardware and software.
- Ability to work well with people, handle technical problems, work well under stress and follow directions.
- Good communication and documentation skills.
Date Created: 11/1/98