Payroll Title: UCP IX
Class Code: 0932-9089
Job Family: COM
FLSA Code: E
Under the general direction of designated administrator, manages and coordinates the marketing communication function for a large division or organizational unit.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages the overall operation of the marketing communication department consisting of a staff of professional and classified personnel engaged in graphic design and production, market research and analysis, computerized/automated typesetting and graphics, direct mail, multi-media advertising and promotion
- Plans and carries out a marketing and promotional outreach strategy designed to promote department/division services and programs, develop new audiences or clientele, as well as maintain current audiences or clientele.
- Meets, consults with and advises departmental program managers and administrators regarding advertising and promotional needs, including design, cost considerations, deadlines and desired results.
- Serves as a resource to department/division staff and administrators regarding effective promotional strategies and activities.
- Receives coordinates, initiates work orders, and sets priorities in conjunction with production manager for design and production projects.
- Recommends staffing needs, selects and/or hires appropriate staff or services, supervises training of staff, evaluates staff or resource and in conjunction with production manager, establishes work schedules and determines work assignments.
- Prepares, or supervises preparation of advertising and promotional materials, including generating ideas, writing, editing, design and illustration-requiring knowledge of marketing, design and communication techniques and knowledge of targeted audience.
- Implements and coordinates policies, procedures and services or marketing communications department; identifies problems and areas for improvement or increased efficiency and makes recommendations to Associate Dean.
- Plans and carries out special interest events or projects designed to increase effectiveness or marketing activities.
- Prepares, or supervises the preparation of, research materials that illustrate effectiveness or marketing techniques for departmental/ division programs or services.
- Represents Division/University at appropriate regional, national and/or international meetings and forums.
- Participates in Divisional marketing planning and policy development as part of a management team.
- Keeps informed regarding current developments in areas of responsibility.
- Performs other related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, fine arts or related field, or in a field appropriate to unit being served.
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience
- Supervisory, administration and production experience.
- Knowledge of audience and community to be served
- Ability to take initiative, meet deadlines, and make sound judgments.
- Tact and excellent interpersonal/communications skills and techniques; ability to work effectively with creative people
- Willingness to work flexible and irregular hours.
OTHER DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS
- Masters degree may be required by the unit being served
Date Scored: 5/13/1987