Payroll Title: UCP X
Class Code: 1038-09090
Job Family: COM
FLSA Code: E
Under the direction of the Manager of Media Services and in collaboration with the Associate Vice President of Communications and the University’s senior administration, incumbent serves as the official University spokesperson, providing the first level of interface with news media on significant and high profile breaking news, requests for information and crises. Additionally, incumbent is responsible for carrying out a variety of major public relations functions, as well as the production of timely news releases and feature stories which promote the University and its programs.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:.
- Serves as the official University spokesperson and the first level of interface for all significant interchange with the media.
- Participates on the University crisis response team which involves alerting all key University officials of crisis, assembling the media staff and an emergency response communications network.
- Counsels senior level administrators on media relations strategy and how the news media responds to actions taken by UConn.
- Serves as interface with media on Freedom of Information requests.
- Identifies desirable and appropriate outlets for stories and develops strategies to package, market and place stories within each outlet.
- Works with Deans, Directors, Department Heads and faculty in specific schools, colleges, departments, institutes and centers to determine stories that can positively impact the state, regional and national profile of the University.
- Develops effective working relationships with prominent media contacts, especially at the regional and national level, who are likely to report or impact reporting on programs and research activities.
- Contributes to planning media events.
- Develops plans that promote in the regional and national press exceptional faculty members and students who bring recognition to the institution by virtue of their individual accomplishments.
- Develops media communications plans that can be incorporated into broader strategic communications plans.
- Produces feature stories for publication in UConn Magazine and on UConn Today.
- Creates copy for inclusion in marketing materials.
- Helps manage news media attending major University functions or OUC sponsored media events.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or closely related field.
- A minimum of 8-10 years on the job experience in media relations.
- Must possess a disciplined approach in communicating with the media.
- Demonstrated superior interpersonal/communications and organizational skills and techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of audience and community to be served.
- Thorough knowledge of news writing, text editing, reporting and media production.
- Ability to meet deadlines, take initiative and willingness to work flexible hours when activities fall outside normal working hours.
- Knowledge of news operations and the needs of reporters.