Payroll Title: UCP VII
Class Code: 0700-9087
Job Family: SHS
FLSA Code: E
Under the general direction of the clinical lab director, is responsible for the administrative and technical supervision and routine function of a licensed Clinical Laboratory performing extensive and complex chemical, hematological, immunological, microbiological and viral diagnostic procedures for purposes of obtaining information for the diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of patients.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates services, staff, procedures policies and functions of a licensed Clinical Laboratory; hires, trains, supervises and evaluates all testing and/or support personnel; directs and assists other professional staff in making clinical judgments.
- Responsible for reviewing and revising Laboratory procedures and policies as required by regulatory agencies, including but not limited to the Connecticut State Department of Health Bureau of Laboratories, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC), the Health Care Finance Administration (HCFA), the Commission on Office Laboratory Accreditation (COLA) and the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA).; Responsible for drafting written manuals describing the required policies and procedures.
- Responsible for laboratory quality control and quality assurance programs; supervises and monitors the quality of test results through participation in external proficiency test programs as required by regulatory agencies.
- Responsible for budget requests for supplies and equipment; prepares and processes all necessary paperwork and maintains appropriate records; meets with vendor representatives to discuss and evaluate new equipment and test procedures; prepares bid specifications for major equipment purchases and referral testing contracts; monitors and resolves problems related to purchasing and delivery of supplies and equipment.
- Monitors the cost effectiveness of all Laboratory services and calculates a fee schedule for all diagnostic testing.
- Responsible for the dissemination and enforcement of policies related to the protection of patients and employees, including but not limited to the University of Connecticut Health and Safety Policy, the Student Health Services HIV (AIDS) Policy, the Student Health Services Hepatitis Immunization Policy, the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Rule and the Student Health Services Confidentiality Policy.
- Supervises and monitors the proper disposal of biohazardous waste generated by the Laboratory, including collection, packaging, labelling, handling and tracking; responsible for documentation in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Coordinates and conducts on-site and off-site educational presentations and health screening clinics.
- Reports communicable disease findings as required by regulatory agencies.
- May participate in various committees and advisory groups.
- May perform all duties of SHS Clinical Laboratory Technologist.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Masters in clinical laboratory science, medical technology or chemical, physical or biological science and one year training/experience in high complexity testing OR Bachelors in medical technology or chemical, physical or biological science and one year training/experience in high complexity testing OR Associates degree in laboratory science or medical laboratory technology and two years training/experience in high complexity testing OR On or before 2/28/92 qualified or could have qualified as a general supervisor under laboratory regulations published March 14, 1990 (55FR 9538)
- At least five years experience in a high complexity laboratory.
- A minimum of two years supervisory experience.
Date Scored: 8/11/95