Payroll Title: UCP VII
Class Code: 0749-9087
Job Family: SHS
FLSA Code: E
Under the general supervision of designated health professional, coordinates the activities of health care services by applying nursing skills in the care and treatment of patients.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates services, staff, procedures, policies and patient flow; evaluates services, recommends policy or procedural changes; may train and evaluate professional and/or non-professional staff as needed.
- Supervises patient care administered by a licensed practical nurse and oversees non-professional staff.
- Assesses health problems of incoming patients by means of interview and examination.
- Interprets and reports observations, in keeping with sound nursing practices.
- Administers patient care as prescribed by physician and/or in conformance with medical and nursing protocols.
- Evaluates and alters nursing care according to needs of patients.
- Assist physician in the administration of examinations, tests and other procedures.
- Interprets appropriate aspects of health management to the patient including medical and nursing instructions and counsels patients with regard to prevention and self-care.
- Documents assessment findings, care measures, and the resulting patient response on appropriate forms according to approved methods.
- Assesses patient need for emotional health care and makes proper referrals in cases beyond the scope of nursing expertise.
- Gives necessary emergency treatment and referral to anyone injured on campus.
- Refers patient for specialized medical care beyond the scope of Student Health Services, and arranges for necessary ambulance transportation.
- Maintains drugs, medical supplies, and equipment as necessary.
- Refers and consults with physicians for evaluation and recommendation regarding unusual findings.
- Participates in and/or conducts in-service presentations.
- May work weekends, holidays or variable shifts on a rotating basis as needed.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Connecticut
- CPR Certification
- Experience in emergency room or as a Public Health Nurse OR Demonstrated physical assessment skills, preferably gained through formal course work.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and organize care in an In-Patient Unit.
- Willingness to work flexible or irregular hours.
Date Revised: 3/25/88