University of Connecticut University of UC Title Fallback Connecticut

Smoking Cessation

Quit Smoking Programs and Resources

UConn Health

UConn Health Center - Smoking Cessation Program

About Our Program
If you or someone you know is a smoker who wants to quit, UConn Health’s Wellness and Smoking Cessation Program, part of the Neag Comprehensive Cancer Center, may be able to help.

Kick Ash

State of CT Comptroller Office

Get Free Help Now From The Kick Ash Campaign which offers resources for all State of Connecticut Employees.

Anthem

Anthem for CT State Employees

Self Help Works An on-line year long quit smoking program.

United Healthcare - Oxford

United Healthcare - Oxford

You know that tobacco is bad for you. This is true whether you smoke, or use chewing tobacco or snuff. So, why not quit today? It's hurting your health, draining your wallet and leaving you behind in a world that's becoming tobacco-free. When you're ready, set a date to quit. And, Stick to it. Don't let tobacco control you for one more day. Take charge of your habit and your health.
Kick your tobacco habit flyer.

CDC

Centers for Disease Control (CDC)

Smoking remains the leading cause of preventable death and disease in the United States, killing more than 480,000 Americans each year. Smoking causes immediate damage to your body, which can lead to long-term health problems. For every smoking-related death, at least 30 Americans live with a smoking-related illness. The only proven strategy to protect yourself from harm is to never smoke, and if you do smoke or use tobacco products, to quit. The CDC offers a list of resources to help individuals learn about the health consequences of smoking, secondhand smoke, and smokeless tobacco use plus suggestions to help quit smoking.
CDC Vital Signs
CDC Shareable Media-Posters, Posters

American Lung Association

American Lung Association's Freedom from Smoking Plus

Freedom From SmokingThe American Lung Association’s new online course is a highly-interactive behavior change program that addresses today’s mobile lifestyles. It works on desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones and includes telephone, chat and email support from our tobacco cessation counselors. Freedom From Smoking® Plus is accessible whenever and wherever tobacco users need support as they break their addiction. learn more...

American Heart Association

American Heart Association - Quit Smoking

Why Quit Smoking?
Smoking is the most important preventable cause of premature death in the United States.

American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society

Tobacco and Cancer: Get information on cigarette, cigar, and smokeless tobacco use, and learn how it affects different groups of people.

UConn Student Health Services

UConn Student Health Services: Online Resources

The Internet is an excellent source of information, research findings, smoking tips and support links. Just a few sites you may find helpful:

 

UConn Smoking Policy

Reason for the Policy
The University of Connecticut recognized that tobacco use is a leading cause of preventable illness, disease and death in the United States and that exposure to second-hand smoke also contributes significantly to preventable illness, disease and death. This policy is in keeping with the University's goal to provide a safe and health working and learning environment and it ensures compliance with Connecticut General Statute 31-40q(d) and 19a-342.

The complete UConn Policy Statement
Smoking is prohibited:

  1. In all University owned or leased buildings, facilities and vehicles.
  2. Within 25 feet of all compus buildings, includiing residence halls.


Frequently Asked Questions

Why did UConn revise the Smoking Policy to restrict smoking beyond the interior of its buildings?
The Smoking Policy Task Force found that of their research of peer institutions, approximately 70 percent have a complete ban on smoking and/or tobacco. The remaining 30 percent apply such bans to within a certain distance from buildings or facilities. UConn was the sole institution with no official policy restricting smoking beyond the interior of its buildings.

When did the revised Smoking Policy go into effect?
The revised smoking policy became effective on June 7, 2016.

More FAQs...


Guidelines for Supervisors & Employees

The success of the Smoking Policy depends upon the thoughtfulness and cooperation of smokers and non-smokers. All faculty, staff, students, and visitors share the responsibility of complying with and enforcing this important policy through education and compliance.

Details...