Payroll Title: UCP V
Class Code: 0522-9085
Job Family: TLR
FLSA Code: E
Under the general supervision of designated supervisor and/or faculty member, provides moderately difficult technical assistance in support of the research, teaching or service activities of a department.
GUIDELINES FOR USING THE POSITION
Incumbents in this position are expected to know and use well the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures in a technical specialty. Work is of more than routine difficulty and somewhat varied. Incumbents work under the guidance of faculty member or supervisor, but are expected to act on own initiative to trouble shoot and resolve the normal range of problems, with only periodic recourse to supervisor.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares samples for analysis or testing according to standard procedures.
- Selects appropriate methods and techniques from among the standard possibilities; tests such methods to ensure accuracy and consistency; makes modifications of ordinary difficulty to ensure standardized results, in consultation with supervisor.
- Using standard and non-standard methods and techniques, performs tests or analyses according to standard practice; calculates results, evaluates findings in terms of compliance or non-compliance with standards and confers with supervisor to determine need for more definitive analysis; documents methodology and findings.
- Operates, tests and calibrates analytical instruments, equipment and related components; makes adjustments and resolves problems of ordinary difficulty.
- Is responsible for maintaining in proper working order equipment, instruments and related apparatus, which may be highly specialized; trouble-shoots and resolves problems of ordinary difficulty.
- Maintains necessary records, proper laboratory conditions and safety procedures; maintains an adequate inventory of laboratory supplies, within prescribed limits.
- Assists students and others with technical problems related to laboratory techniques or equipment
- Assists in conducting more complex analysis as requested.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in specialty appropriate to department to be served and 1 to 3 year experience.
- Demonstrated ability to apply fundamental concepts, techniques and practices in the technical specialty appropriate to the department to be served.
- Ability to produce reliable results, problem-solve and trouble shoot problems of moderate difficulty.
- Ability to maintain laboratory equipment and resolve problems of ordinary difficulty.
- Knowledge of computers and programming may be required in some specialty areas
Date Created: 6/28/1985