Payroll Title: UCP III
Class Code: 0312-9083
Job Family: COM
FLSA Code: N
Under the direction of designated supervisor, develops, writes and edits information, news articles and feature stories designed to promote and/or inform target audiences about University program(s) or service(s).
GUIDELINES FOR USING THE POSTION
This position is considered an entry level writing job. The focus of the job will be on writing and editing assigned projects, but incumbents will also be expected to occasionally originate ideas for approval by supervisor. Work is of moderate difficulty, may be somewhat repetitive, requires moderate creativity and a reasonably good understanding of target audience. Work may include writing for radio or video scripts. Public relations skills may be needed on occasion.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Writes, edits and proofreads own copy, exercising creativity and sound judgement in developing appealing, stimulating and convincing messages and submits to supervisor for approval.
- Proofreads written copy, checking for facts, analysis, grammar and readability; clears written copy with concerned individuals.
- As needed, translates technical information into language suitable for lay audiences.
- Initiates ideas and submits to supervisor or editor for approval; assembles, organizes, evaluates and selects materials to be used in preparing copy; regularly consults with supervisor to determine requirements for publication and/or verify or clarify copy.
- Conducts interviews, attends meetings and other events to develop assigned story or article; as assigned, develops potential sources of publishable material by researching pertinent topics, reading, conducting file searches and contacting others; submits ideas to supervisor for approval.
- Keeps informed about topics in assigned area of responsibility.
- Works with artists and others regarding most appropriate graphic, illustrative and/or photographic work to accompany written copy.
- May respond to questions from the public, target audience or the media regarding specific issues in assigned area of responsibilities.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Communications or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One year writing experience appropriate to department to be served.
- Good writing and grammatical skills, as demonstrated by writing samples; writing ability suitable for radio or video may be required by some departments.
- Ability to meet deadlines, carry assignments through to completion and take initiative.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
Date Revised: 1/1/88