Payroll Title: UCP V
Class Code: 0524-9085
Job Family: COM
FLSA Code: E
Under the general direction of designated supervisor, develops, writes and edits information, news articles and feature stories and other publications designed to promote and/or inform target audiences about University program(s) or service(s).
GUIDELINES FOR USING THE POSITION
The focus of this job is on advanced level writing and editing. Incumbents are expected to exercise originality, creativity and to regularly develop his/her own ideas within broad guidelines established by the supervisor. Work is usually difficult, varied and requires a sound understanding of subject and target audience. Work may include writing for radio or video scripts. Public relations skills may be needed with considerable frequency.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops, writes and edits copy, exercising originality, creativity and sound judgment in developing appealing, stimulating and convincing messages and proper focus to generate desired response.
- Proofreads and edits written copy, checking for facts, analysis, grammar and readability; clears written copy with concerned individuals.
- As needed, translates difficult technical information into language suitable for lay audiences.
- Conceptualizes, assembles materials and organizes content for a variety of articles or stories, with responsibility to carry out thematic and content goals established by supervisor or editor; periodically consults with supervisor to determine requirements for publication and/or verify or clarify copy.
- Conducts interviews, attends meetings and other events to develop assigned story or article; independently develops a variety of potential sources of publishable material by researching pertinent topics, reading, conducting file searches and contacting others; plans proper focus of copy and submits a plan and ideas to supervisor for approval.
- Keeps informed about a variety of pertinent topics.
- Works with artists and others to plan form, layout, most appropriate graphic, illustrative and/or photographic work to accompany written copy and to prepare mock-up for printer.
- May coordinate production with outside vendors and/or internal publication production sources, as required.
- Develops, updates and maintains mailing lists and current files of individuals, cooperation, institutions and others who receive publication.
- May assist in promoting effective delivery of message to target audience and maintaining good working relationships with the media; may respond to questions from the public, the media or others.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Communications or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2 -4 years writing experience, appropriate to department to be served.
- Advanced writing and grammatical skills, as demonstrated by writing samples; writing ability suitable for radio or video may be required by some departments.
- Ability to meet deadlines, take initiative and work independently to carry out difficult assignments.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills.
- Basic knowledge of graphic design and awareness of graphic needs of publications
Date Revised: 1/1/88