Payroll Title: UCP V
Class Code: 0516-9085
Job Family: EDU
FLSA Code: E
Under the general supervision of designated supervisor, advises undergraduate students on specific academic programs and/or policies in a school/college/division or similar academic unit.
GUIDELINES FOR USING THE POSITION
This is considered an entry-level position. The focus of the job is on advising students about academic regulations and requirements. Incumbents are expected to work independently within established policies and regulations.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advises students in planning an academic program and may advise regarding career goals.
- Advises students in specific curriculum decisions, including the appropriate choice and scheduling of courses, selection or change of major or minor, waiver of requirements/deadlines and related matters.
- Provides additional counseling to warned students, those with academic difficulties and students contemplating withdrawal.
- Reviews and makes recommendations regarding warning, exclusion, suspension or dismissal.
- Audits student records to determine progress toward meeting academic requirements and to assess eligibility to graduate.
- Assists in planning and implementing scheduling and registration activities, orientation programs and other activities, as assigned.
- Serves as resource for students, faculty, parents and others having questions about programs or academic policies; makes referrals as appropriate.
- Maintains appropriate files and records, which may be computerized, and assists in compiling statistical reports.
- Assists in writing and/or editing informational and publicity materials.
- Provides information regarding various specialized programs and requirements and opportunities for scholarships/awards.
- May assist in recruiting new students and/or seeking job placement opportunities for graduating seniors.
- Assists in reviewing student transcripts and in making admissions decisions regarding transfer of major within or into College/School.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in appropriate field
- One to two years experience in advising students.
- Good communication skills and ability to relate well to student, faculty and/or parents
- Knowledge of academic programs in area to be served
Date Revised: 9/88