Payroll Title: UCP XI
Class Code: 1109-9092
Job Family: DPS
FLSA Code: E
Under the general direction of an executive level administrator, provides leadership to comprehensive special projects requiring advanced technical expertise and knowledge of all areas of computing.
GUIDELINES TO USING THIS POSITION
Incumbents in this position are expected to meet a specific critical technical requirement and, in addition, must demonstrate knowledge of and qualities that enable him/her to lead comprehensive projects of the highest technical level which meet a large user population. Incumbents will work at the senior level when not assigned to special projects.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Within broad guidelines, leads complex technical projects designed to resolve significant technical problems, develop significant new software or hardware and/or enhance computing at the University and within the state.
- Develops a comprehensive plan, selects the most appropriate approach, collects and analyzes information, investigates alternatives and analyzes the effect of various options on the efficiency and effectiveness of all area users consistent with University strategic planning efforts.
- Performs senior level work in an area of computer expertise (e.g., applications programming, operating systems, networks, data/voice/video/broadcast communications and information systems analysis).
- Works with complex systems integration issues including activities associated with data base, client server or applications development or networking.
- Works with vendors, users and management to obtain information and develop an understanding of needs and potential solutions.
- Development of staff requirements
- Determines cost of various options and prepares cost-benefits analysis, as well as equipment costs and other purchases.
- Prepares comprehensive reports and recommendations, which outline strengths and weaknesses of the most viable options, including cost-benefit analysis, effect on current operations, potential implementation and installation schedule and plan.
- May supervise others, if assigned for specific projects.
- Works with complex systems integration issues including activities associated with data warehouse, server and network technologies.
- Actively participates in local and national professional organizations and user groups.
- Assists with the development of plans and processes that ensure the minimum risk to services or systems due to errors.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Five to ten years of progressively responsible experience in data processing development, programming experience and systems analysis as required for the technical specialty.
- At least four years experience preferably in the University or state, including one or more technical or management positions, which demonstrates ability to independently and successfully lead complex technical projects and take responsibility for planning, progress monitoring, status reports and comprehensive final reports.
- Considerable knowledge of departmental and institutional structures and goals
- Demonstrated commitment to maintaining state-of-the-art technical knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Evidence of participation in national and local professional organizations and user groups, ability to present technical papers at professional meetings.
Date Revised: 11/1/98