The Federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requires employers to notify an employee of his or her rights under FMLA when they become aware of the following covered situations:
- The birth or adoption of a child or placement of a foster child.
- The serious health condition of an employee or his/ her child, parent or spouse.
- Military family leave for a spouse, parent, child or next of kin to care for a covered service member injured while on active duty or because of a qualifying exigency.
As a supervisor, you play an important role in helping the University comply with FMLA. Below are your responsibilities:
- When you become aware of a situation as described above, refer the employee to the Human Resources – Benefits website for important information about FMLA and ask the employee to contact the appropriate Human Resources Leave Administrator. If an employee is unable to access the website or contact the Leave Administrator, notify the Leave Administrator.The website provides the required FMLA notice, forms to complete, and helpful information about how the leave is paid in accordance with bargaining contracts, University By-Laws and policies, and CT state statutes.
The Leave Administrator will determine if the employee qualifies for FMLA, send notification of FMLA entitlements and provisions, and provide guidance to the employee on completing the required forms.
- Please note that the employee should not provide you with the Medical Certificate, but rather submit it directly to the Leave Administrator.
- You will ensure that the employee is aware of his/her departmental requirement for calling in an FMLA absence, providing updates, and notifying the department of the date of return to work.
- You are responsible for ensuring accurate time reporting for the employee. The Leave Administratorwill provide you the correct FMLA time codes to be used to record the leave.
- You should not permit an employee to return to work from a personal illness or injury leave until s/he has provided the Leave Administrator with any required proof of fitness for duty.
Leave Adminstrator Contact Information
Telephone: (860) 486-0411
Fax: (860) 486-0406