Hurricane Relief & Support

Rainbow on Horse Barn Hill

The recent hurricanes and subsequent disasters in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands have prompted a response from UConn employees across all campuses. Many in the UConn community have personal and professional ties to the affected areas. We want to express our sympathy to those who grieve losses, and support to those who have family, friends, and colleagues living in those locations.

Several employees have inquired about providing disaster relief assistance to the areas impacted by the hurricanes. The University will do its best to fully support those who are able and willing to help.

The following information is being provided to employees who may be interested in providing volunteer disaster relief services, are called to active military duty, or are personally affected by the recent disasters while also ensuring that the University’s teaching, research, and operational needs are met.


  • State Employees Who Provide Disaster Relief Services with the American Red Cross
    In response to needs for relief services, the following leave entitlement is found in Section 5-249(b) of the Connecticut General Statutes:

    “Any state employee who is a certified disaster service volunteer of the American Red Cross may, with the authorization of such employee’s supervisor, be granted a leave not to exceed fifteen working days in each year to participate in specialized disaster relief services for the American Red Cross, upon the request of the American Red Cross, without loss of pay, vacation time, sick leave or earned overtime accumulation.”

    For further guidance about the American Red Cross Disaster Leave contact:
    Storrs and Regional Campuses:
    Red Cross Disaster Service Leave or call 860-486-3034
    UConn Health Farmington: Red Cross Disaster Relief or call 860-679-2901

    Individuals interested in becoming a disaster service volunteer visit American Red Cross: Become a Volunteer

  • Leave for Relief Efforts Independent of the American Red Cross
    Employees who wish to volunteer with relief efforts independent of the American Red Cross may request to do so using their own vacation, personal leave and/or compensatory time. Approval for time off in this circumstance is subject to operational needs and managerial/departmental approval.


  • Eligible employees suffering from a certified serious health condition as a result of the recent disasters can apply for a personal illness leave by contacting their appropriate Human Resources Leave Administrator.
  • Eligible employees who need to provide care for immediate family members who are suffering from a serious health condition as a result of the recent disasters can apply for a family illness leave. Family illness leaves under Federal FMLA and State family/medical leave include serious health conditions for:
    • Children under age 18
    • Children 18 and over only if incapable of self-care because of a mental or physical disability that meet the Americans with Disabilities Act guidelines
    • Spouse
    • Parent



  • Full-time permanent employees (or part-time employees who have worked the equivalent of six or more months) who are members of the U.S. Armed Forces or any of its reserve components, including National Disaster Medical Systems (NDMS), are eligible for military leave with pay for up to thirty (30) calendar days in a calendar year for unscheduled emergency military call-ups. Should the period of leave exceed thirty (30) calendar days, the employee shall be granted a military leave of absence without pay with position held consistent with CT Gen. Stat. 5-255.
    Employees who are called to active duty to provide relief efforts should contact:
    Storrs and Regional Campuses: Military Leave or call 860-486-2432
    UConn Health Farmington: Military Leave or call 860-679-2901


  • All members of the UConn community are encouraged to support recovery efforts by contributing to their preferred relief funds. For Puerto Rico in particular, we suggest the following two for their work with vulnerable communities, education, food, and health on the island:
  • The National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (NVOAD) lists trusted organizations receiving donations, many of which are already coordinating relief and response efforts in the Caribbean. The NVOAD website has information on non-profit organizations accepting or registering individual in-kind donations.

For Further Information Contact:

UCONN HEALTH (860) 679-2901
HR Website



Unrepresented (Management/Confidential, Law School Faculty, Post Docs)

Suzanne Rogoz
(860) 486-0398


Cindy Drost
(860) 486-2432
NP-2 Tiffanie Klick
(860) 486-2598