University of Connecticut University of UC Title Fallback Connecticut

AAUP Leave Type: Personal Illness/Injury (Non-Work Related)

Job Protection and Benefit Continuation

Federal FMLA

  • Eligible after one year of employment and after working 1,250 hours or more in previous 12-months
  • Up to 12 weeks of leave during 12-month FMLA period
  • May be taken intermittently or on a reduced schedule
  • Continued eligibility for state contributions toward health insurance (directly billed as needed)

CT State Statute 5-248a

  • Eligible as a permanent employee as defined in CT State Statute 5-196(20)
  • Up to 24 weeks of unpaid leave within a two-year period  (leave must be for more than 5 days)
  • Cannot be taken intermittently or on a reduced schedule
  • Continued eligibility for state contributions toward health insurance (directly billed as needed)

Note:  Leaves for employees with end date positions will not be extended beyond the end date.

Your medical condition may also qualify for accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) ADA Information.

How the Leave is Paid

Leave can be paid or unpaid.  Each case is considered separately and involves careful consideration of length of service, nature of the illness/injury, and anticipated length of disability.

Academic Assistants, Research Assistants and Research Associates may use the following paid time entitlements toward an unpaid medical leave:

  • Personal leave
  • Vacation
  • Holidays

Note:  Disability insurance is automatically provided to employees enrolled in the Alternate Retirement Program.  If an absence is expected to extend beyond six months, the employee is required to apply for long-term disability and, once approved, would qualify for supplemental payments under Article 19.IV.G of the AAUP contract.

Tenure Track Extension

Tenure-track faculty members with a qualified FMLA leave related to a serious personal illness or injury will receive an automatic one-year extension of the tenure clock, to a maximum of two extensions.


How to Apply for Leave

Employees are required to apply for long-term leaves of absence through CORE-CT at the UCONN employee self-service portal located at


Medical Certification (P-33A)

Returning to Work

Must provide Fitness for Duty certification (last page of Medical Certification, P-33A)

Policy References

Understanding Family and Medical Leave (A primer for Connecticut State Employees)
Federal Family and Medical Leave Act
Federal Family and Medical Leave Act in Spanish
U.S. Dept. of Labor Employee’s Guide to FMLA
Connecticut Statute
C.G.S. 5-248a
C.G.S. 5-196(20)
Statewide Family and Medical Leave Policy
University By-Laws Article XIV.L.4 Sick Leave for Members of the Professional Staff
Article XIV.C.4
AAUP Contract Article 13.7 Academic Assistants
Article 19.IV.G Disability Pay
Article 19.IV.I Family/Medical Leave
Article 24.2 Benefits (Research Assistants and Research Associates)
Article 26.1 Sick Leave for Temporary Employees
Long Term Disability Certificate


Human Resources Contact

Suzanne Rogoz
Telephone: (860) 486-0398
Fax: (860) 486-0406