Payroll Title: UCP IX
Class Code: 0948-9089
Job Family: COM
FLSA Code: E
Under the general direction of designated administrator, and as part of the management team of the Office of University Communications, participates in developing the University’s comprehensive media communication strategies.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops priorities, goals, policies, and procedures to assure consistency of messages related to the University’s media communications objectives.
- Produces and oversees the implementation of media communications plans related to significant university events.
- Serves as a University spokesperson and responds to media inquiries for university information, with particular focus on Connecticut media.
- Provides the first level of interface with news media; issues press releases, oversees press event planning and coordinates press events as appropriate.
- Monitors Connecticut media for University purposes and determines if or when University response may be advisable.
- Manages relations with media editorial boards, which includes coordinating meetings between media editorial boards and the University President. Assists the President with drafting and placing strategic editorials.
- Oversees the production of the University’s internal newspaper, and provides articles, essays, and other material for publication.
- Coordinates University crisis response team which involves being on call 24 hours to alert all key University officials of a breaking crisis, assembling the media staff and an emergency response communications network and serving as an official University spokesperson.
- Responds to Freedom of Information (FOI) requests after collaborating with University Communications management and the Assistant Attorney General.
- Participates in the identification of new strategic communications opportunities and develops plans to meet them.
- Directs the communications activities of professional and support staff, and is responsible for the training, evaluation, supervision, work assignments, work schedules, professional development opportunities, and formulation of annual goals for media communications unit staff.
- Participates in department’s annual budget development and prioritization
- Reports on administrative and institutional initiatives, programs and activities.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree in journalism, communications or related field, with at least five years work-related experience
- Thorough knowledge of news writing, text editing, reporting and media production
- Knowledge of audience and community to be served
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational, interpersonal, communication skills.
- Prior supervisory/managerial experience.
- Demonstrated ability to respond effectively to unplanned media events.
- Willingness to work flexible and irregular hours.
Date Created: 3/10/00