Payroll Title: UCP VII
Class Code: 0705-9087
Job Family: FIS
FLSA Code: E
Under the direction of designated supervisor, performs complex payroll functions and assists in supervising the day-to-day operations of the Payroll office.
GUIDELINES FOR USING THE POSITION
The focus of this job is on performing complex payroll operations as well as supervising staff and coordinating workflow. Incumbents would normally be expected to work with and be knowledgeable about a variety of payroll categories, not just a single payroll category.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in supervising and coordinating the work flow and daily operations of the payroll office.
- Supervises professional and classified staff and assists in assigning work and determining work schedules.
- Assists in maintaining the payroll software systems and generating required reports; trouble‑shoots and resolves scheduling problems or errors in the data.
- Performs complex payroll functions which may require resolution of complex problems, fiscal analysis, reconciling conflicting policies and procedures, and requires the knowledge of the policies, procedures and regulations which govern a variety of payroll categories.
- Responds to telephone and written inquiries from University employees regarding problems, resolving such problems as they arise.
- Prepares detailed and summary reports to meet department needs, in assigned area of responsibility.
- Assists in evaluating and identifying areas for improvements and recommends changes in payroll or office policies and procedures.
- Performs related duties as required.
MNIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or related area.
- At least two years payroll experience, preferably at an educational institution.
- Familiarity with payroll software and computer operations.
- Supervisory ability.
- Advanced knowledge of payroll operations and ability to resolve complex payroll problem.
Date Created: 04/12/85