The State of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut offer a Supplemental Benefits Program which is designed to complement the health and retirement benefits provided by the State. Supplemental benefits include life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, and auto and home insurance.
Employees in the following employment categories are eligible for the State of Connecticut and University Supplemental Benefits:
- Employees Represented by the American Association of University Professors (AAUP)*
- Unrepresented Faculty at the University’s School of Law
- Employees Represented by the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA)
- Employees Represented by the Statewide Clerical, Maintenance, and Protective Services Bargaining Units*
- Unrepresented University Postdoctoral Fellows
- Unrepresented Management Exempt and Confidential Exempt
The State of Connecticut provides an employee handbook titled State of Connecticut Employee Benefits which provides detailed information regarding the supplemental benefits including plan descriptions, eligibility, and enrollment instructions. Additional information regarding the Supplemental Benefits Program is also available on the Office of the State Comptroller’s Website.
As a complement to State employee supplemental benefits, the University offers additional insurance options. Currently, the University offers three group plans:
- A Short-Term Disability Plan offered by The Hartford
- A Long-Term Disability Plan offered by Aetna**
- A Universal Life Insurance Plan offered by Aetna
The College Benefits Group is UConn’s chosen insurance broker for these plans. Detailed information including eligibility and enrollment is available on the College Benefits Group website. You are able to elect to participate in these benefits at any time. For certain plans, such as short-term and long-term disability, if you do not enroll in these products upon initial eligibility and decide to enroll at a later time, you may be subject to evidence of insurability guidelines.
The College Benefits Group contact is:
(860) 429-9000 (phone)
(860) 429-9513 (Fax)
*Please note that employees represented by the AAUP and employees represented by any of the statewide clerical, maintenance or protective services bargaining units are not eligible for the University’s short-term disability plan offered by the Hartford.
**Please note that employees who elect the Alternate Retirement Plan (ARP) are automatically covered for long-term disability through Prudential. View the Long-Term Disability Coverage Plan Document for plan details.