Pre-employment criminal background checks (CBC) serve as an important element of the University’s ongoing efforts to ensure a safe and secure campus and workplace. Criminal history information can identify prospective employees who may be predisposed to engage in violence, sexual misconduct, misappropriate use of resources, identity theft, data breaches and other misconduct.
Note that all offers of employment are subject to a pre-employment criminal background check. The hiring department is responsible for vendor fees associated with the CBC.
Who Undergoes a Background Check?
- All full-time and part-time final external candidates for employment in staff (professional and classified) and faculty positions
- All Adjunct Faculty, Special Payroll Lecturers, Instructional Specialists, Academic Specialists, Academic Technicians, Clinical Supervisors, Graduate Instructional Specialist, Graduate Special Payroll Lecturer and other titles with teaching or advising responsibilities; or deemed to be in a position of trust (working with minors)
- Other safety sensitive positions (temporary special payroll or volunteer) as requested by hiring departments
Employees who are already employed by the University and apply for transfer or promotion do not undergo a background check.
Completing a Background Check
- Once a finalist accepts an offer of employment, the hiring department must complete the Background Investigation Notification & Authorization Forms. Department may mail (address below) or fax completed forms to Human Resources at (860) 486-6773, (due to the sensitive content of these forms, email is not an appropriate medium of distribution. Upon receipt of completed forms, the Human Resources Background Check Coordinator will begin the background check process.
University of Connecticut
Department of Human Resources
Attn: Background Check Coordinator
9 Walters Avenue, Unit 5075
Storrs, CT 06269-5075
- Human Resources works directly with the vendor, Security Service of Connecticut Inc., to conduct the Criminal Background Check. A representative from Human Resources receives the results and notifies the hiring department on whether the appointment can be finalized.
Background Check Result Review
Pre-employment criminal background checks typically include the following: social security number verification, past address trace, statewide criminal history search (where available), statewide sex offender check, county criminal history check, federal criminal history check, nationwide criminal history check, international criminal history check (where applicable) and nationwide sex offender search.
The University determines on a case-by-case whether a candidate's criminal history disqualifies the candidate from employment.
Pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes 46a-79 and 46a-80 and other relevant laws, the University considers the following factors in determining whether to disqualify a candidate from employment based on criminal history information:
- The nature of the offense and its relationship to the position
- The degree to which the applicant has been rehabilitated
- The length of time elapsed since conviction
A decision to disqualify a candidate based upon the results of the criminal background check will be made by the appointing authority in consultation with the Director of Faculty and Staff Labor Relations or designee. The Director of Human Resources may also be consulted as deemed necessary.
REQUIRED CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK FORMS
Please download and print these forms for use:
Criminal Background Check Packet Revised 9/20/2018
Disclosure Regarding Background Investigation
Acknowledgement and Authorization for Background Check
Consent to Release Information
Authorization to Release Social Security Number
Gratis/Volunteer and other Special Payroll Requests
Offer Letter Manual