The University of Connecticut, the state’s ﬂagship institution serving over 32,000 students and 10,000 faculty and staff located, is seeking applications for an exceptional individual for the position of Associate Vice President of Financial Operations & Controller.
The University is seeking an outstanding leader to serve as the University's principal financial business and accounting executive for the University and senior level advisor to the Executive Vice President and other University executives on the financial position of the University. The successful candidate will develop and articulate vision and strategy, set financial priorities, and create and implement plans for the University's administrative mission and financial stewardship of the University. The University's continued aspiration for excellence necessitates a progressive approach for building a collaborative environment and innovative approach to effectuate integrated and strategic financial management of assets and resources and lead change management initiatives that are consistent with UConn’s core values of learning, community, responsibility, integrity and quality.
Duties and Responsibilities
Primary job responsibilities include:
- Serves as the University's principal financial business and accounting executive for the University and senior level advisor to the Executive Vice President for Administration and Chief Financial Officer and other University executives on the financial position of the University including assets, liabilities and restricted and unrestricted net assets, results of University operations including revenues and expenditures, accounting and tax issues.
- Plans, develops, implements and evaluates all accounting and controller functions of the University;
- Provides leadership and financial oversight over general accounting, financial reporting and analysis, banking and cash management, accounting systems, bursar, accounts payable, travel disbursements and reimbursements, accounts receivable, tax compliance, payroll, and treasury services;
- Oversees UConn Health’s bursar function, billing, collections and tax compliance; and
- Liaises with government agencies, foundations and sponsored research organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, finance or related field.
- A Master’s degree or other advanced degree in business or related field is preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant
- Minimum 10 years’ accounting or financial management experience in a large-scale, complex, operation preferably as a senior financial officer in a large research university or similar higher education academic environment or public institution.
- Five (5) years’ leadership experience managing a business unit, division or corporate function with major organizational impact.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current generally accepted accounting and financial reporting standards relevant to higher education, public agencies, federal grants and contracts, and non-profit organizations, including full knowledge of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board statements.
- Considerable knowledge of strategic financial planning, financial and investment management, unrelated business income tax, debt financing, cash flow management, investment strategies, and other financial functions.
- Experience in providing strategic leadership over financial systems and demonstrated success in overseeing financial system implementations, upgrades, conversions, etc.
- Proven ability to examine and re-engineer operations and procedures, formulate policy, and develop and implement new strategies and procedures to improve internal controls and achieve increased efficiencies.
- Proven ability to translate long-term strategies into day-to-day operations, with demonstrated experience aligning resources with goals in an environment of competitive demands and resources.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively and effectively with faculty, staff and administrators and represent the University to key stakeholders internally and external agencies/groups and the public.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain constructive, professional relationships with a wide variety of individuals and organizations.
- Demonstrated integrity and ability to act without consideration of personal gain and take prompt action in the case of unprofessional and unethical behavior.
This is full-time, twelve month management exempt position, serving at the pleasure of the Executive Vice President for Administration and Chief Financial Officer. Salary will be competitive and commensurate with successful candidate’s background and experience. For more detailed information about this job opening, please visit: https://evpacfo.uconn.edu/associate-vice-president-searches/.
How to Apply
Please apply online at UConn Jobs, https://jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions, Search #2019551. Interested applicants please submit/upload a 1) a resume documenting educational and work history with employment dates; 2) a cover letter and 3) name and contact information of three (3) professional references. Please note that references will not be contacted without prior discussion with candidate. Search Committee review of completed application packages will begin immediately and continue until a successful candidate is identified. Preference will be given to applications received by July 1, 2019.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2019551)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on August 9, 2019.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.