Payroll Title: UCP VII
Class Code: 0723-9087
Job Family: TLR
FLSA Code: E
Under the general direction of designated supervisor, coordinates and provides technical support for undergraduate and graduate laboratory instruction in a large academic department.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assigns and coordinates use of all lab equipment and supplies for all department courses.
- Orders and purchases lab equipment and supplies, processing all necessary paperwork and maintaining appropriate records; follows up on all related purchasing and shipping problems.
- Resolves problems encountered by lab instructors and makes alterations as needed.
- Supervises, trains and evaluates lab assistants, lab aides and student workers who staff lab courses; recommends hiring, assigns workloads and determines work schedule.
- Assists in the design, development and pre-testing of laboratory experiments and analyzes procedures for intended results, as established by faculty member.
- Prepares lab handouts and lab manuals, with responsibility for accuracy of information and clarity of theory, principles and procedures to be demonstrated; makes arrangements for copies for student purchase.
- Evaluates effectiveness of lab experiments to determine student comprehension of theory and principles, in consultation with lab instructors; makes modifications as appropriate.
- Prepares budget requests for laboratory supplies and equipment; monitors and approves expenses within approved budget limits.
- Maintains, monitors, insures proper security of and performs minor repairs on scientific lab equipment and is responsible for all maintenance contracts for such equipment.
- Is responsible for safe disposal of chemical waste generated by department; develops departmental safety policies and monitors compliance with proper disposal procedures.
- Determines equipment, supplies and physical set up for each lab exercise.
- Prepares laboratory solutions, reagents, media and/or other laboratory apparatus, as needed to carry out experiment.
- Performs special projects as required or assigned.
- Assigns Teaching Assistants to selected lab sections; writes performance evaluations and makes recommendation to faculty member.
- Supervises and assists in cleanup and disassembly of laboratory exercise.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in discipline appropriate to department to be served.
- Prior experience in research and teaching laboratories
- Ability to interact with faculty.
- Supervisory ability
- Sound knowledge of principles of academic discipline to be served and of hazardous waste safety procedures.
OTHER DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION/SKILLS
- Master’s degree in appropriate field
Date Created: 6/28/85