Payroll Title: UCP VII
Class Code: 0736-9087
Job Family: TLR
FLSA Code: E
Under the general direction of designated supervisor, serves as the curator for a scientific collection which supports the teaching and research activities of a large academic/research department and which is available to other interested scientists.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Is responsible for the organization and maintenance of a scientific collection used for research and instructional purposes.
- Identifies and prepares specimens for addition to collection requiring knowledge of taxonomy, scientific discipline, techniques and catalogs.
- Interviews, hires, trains and supervises student workers who assist in maintaining the collection; instructs and trains independent study students in both practical and theoretical museum problems.
- Responds to inquiries from scientific investigators regarding museum holdings and special needs and assists visiting scientists in using collection.
- Maintains liaison with curators at other institutions, sharing information and collection specimens as appropriate.
- Serves as a resource to other agencies and the public regarding species identification, pest problems and status of rare and endangered species.
- Prepares special exhibits for instructional and public use.
- Collects specimens for addition to collection, requiring knowledge of appropriate scientific field techniques.
- Purchases equipment and supplies and other materials necessary to maintain collection.
- Maintains museum data on computerized files and utilizes computer software for data retrieval.
- Maintains related scientific library.
- Writes annual report and assists in writing grant proposals.
- Is responsible for the safe packing and shipping of items on loan.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree in field of specialization
- Working knowledge of taxonomy, classification and morphology.
- Experience in museum work with knowledge of curatorial techniques.
OTHER DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION/SKILLS
- Ph.D. in Entomology or Biology.
Date Created: 6/28/85