Payroll Title: UCP V
Class Code: 0573-09050
Job Family: FAC
FLSA Code: 489
Under the general supervision of a designated supervisor, assists in all aspects of athletics fields and courts used in intercollegiate athletics.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists in overseeing staff responsible for the preparation and maintenance of athletic fields and facilities.
- Assists in the design and maintenance of athletic fields and facilities to ensure student athlete and spectator safety as well as compliance with National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) regulations including requirements for field dimensions and markings.
- Assists in and makes recommendations on the planning and design of new facilities as well as existing facility repairs and renovations; serves as a contact for external contractors in absence of manager.
- Monitors and inspects projects performed on Athletics fields and ensures work done is in compliance with contract terms and obligations, as well as NCAA regulations.
- Consults with and provides recommendations to coaches, game officials, and athletics administration regarding cancellation and/or postponement of events.
- Determines use of tarps and drying agents due to adverse weather conditions as well as the removal of ice and snow from all athletic fields; considers long term effects of their use and may make recommendations for alternate strategies.
- Inspects irrigation systems and ensures proper operation, maintenance and repair.
- Assists in oversight of daily maintenance of athletic fields including the fertilization, aeration, chemical spraying, directional mowing and trimming, topdressing, and over-seeding of all fields.
- Responsible for the preparation of facilities prior to practices and games including lining fields, coordinating layout, placement and set-up of equipment, benches, tables, etc.
- Advises manager on various controls for insect and disease identification and assists in implementing solutions.
- Keeps informed of best practices, trends, as well as NCAA regulations pertaining to design and maintenance of athletic fields.
- Responsible for maintenance and repair of all equipment including but not limited to front loaders, lawn mowers, plows and golf carts.
- May provide assistance with maintenance and upkeep of indoor athletic facilities as required.
- Assists at athletic events as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in turf management or related field
- One to two years experience working with golf, collegiate, or professional athletic fields
- Eligible to receive or possess a valid Connecticut Pesticide Applicators license
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with aeration, chemical spraying, fertilization and directional mowing; and knowledge of how to operate equipment related to these tasks
- Knowledge of the layout, repair, and irrigation of athletics fields
- Ability to operate University owned vehicles
- Professional license and/or specialized training or certification for chemical fertilization
- Demonstrated knowledge of all applicable Conference and NCAA rules and regulations
NOTE: Incumbents in this position will be required to work holidays, nights, and weekends. This position is designated as “emergency personnel/essential staff” and may be required to report in inclement weather or emergency conditions to continue performance of job responsibilities.