UConn Health is a vibrant, integrated academic medical center that is entering an era of unprecedented growth in all three areas of its mission: academics, research, and clinical care. A commitment to human health and well-being has been of utmost importance to UConn Health since the founding of the University of Connecticut schools of Medicine and Dental Medicine in 1961. Based on a strong foundation of groundbreaking research, first-rate education, and quality clinical care, we have expanded our medical missions over the decades. In just over 50 years, UConn Health has evolved to encompass more research endeavors, to provide more ways to access our superior care, and to innovate both practical medicine and our methods of educating the practitioners of tomorrow.
Supports the teaching, research and healthcare mission of the UConn Health by providing effective human resources programs and services. In a highly-matrixed HR organization, the Associate Vice-President, Human Resources provides oversight and direction at Farmington in the areas of: talent acquisition and recruitment (selection and retention) including HR business partnerships, international visa administration, employee engagement initiatives, education and staff training/development as well as provides information into the other centralized day-to-day HR operations so that the centralized HR services at Farmington and across the University system are fully engaged and consistent. The goal of this position will be to begin the journey of building and transforming the HR function into a true client service delivery model.
The AVP of HR at Farmington as a member of the Chief Executive Officer’s senior team is responsible for developing and partnering with all Farmington campus leaders to support HR effectiveness for all Farmington employees reporting into the Office of Administration, The Provost’s Office, The President’s Office and the Chief Executive Officer.
Along with the Executive Director Employee Relations of Storrs and Farmington, the Executive Director of HR Operations – Storrs and Farmington and the Executive Director – HR Leadership and Effectiveness – Storrs, the AVP of HR – UConn Health will also serve on the Chief Human Resources Officer’s senior team. In this role as the AVP of HR – UConn Health will ensure the University at Farmington and in collaboration with the greater University HR organization is considered by its employees as a place of opportunity for all, where civility and success go hand in hand and a career can thrive where the University values come first – where “how” you achieve and treat your colleagues is just as important as “what” you achieve. This position will collaborate with the Chief Human Resources Officer’s senior team in the reimaging of a comprehensive and inclusive UConn-wide human resources platform while working collaboratively with all other segments of the University HR system responsible for also delivering other HR services in Farmington.
This position reports directly in a straight line relationship to two individuals: UConn Health’s Chief Executive Officer and Executive Vice President for Health Affairs and the University of Connecticut’s UConn-wide Chief Human Resource Officer.
The Associate Vice President, Human Resources – UConn Health provides direct and on-going guidance and direction for the functional roles and teams at Farmington of HR business partners and professionals in the areas of international visa administration, employee engagement initiatives, education and staff development while also collaborating day-to day with the executive directors at Storrs who have accountability for the centralized areas of HR operations, employee/labor relations and system-wide HR policies for all UConn locations state-wide, including Farmington, under the One UConn HR client service delivery platform.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for development and implementation of a Talent Acquisition Strategy to achieve the most appropriate sourcing, evaluation, and selection of highly qualified and diverse talent.
- Develops, organizes, and executes business plans to achieve annual talent acquisition goals.
- Anticipate needs, forecast staffing shortages, and formulate proactive short and long-term strategies to meet the needs of the organization.
- Directs talent acquisition team activities across entire hiring cycle including establishing and service level agreements with hiring managers and HR Client Managers, creating and executing on sourcing strategy, extending employment offers after review with compensation, checking references, background checks, and coordinating new hire onboarding with HR and the hiring organization.
- Ensures compliance with federal codes and regulations.
- Reports and manages weekly, quarterly and regular recruiting, sourcing, retention and other key TA metrics and indicators.
- Manages relationships with appropriate external organizations, including vendor selection, contract negotiation, and outsourcing and supplier management in order to meet talent acquisition and workforce hiring goals.
- Manages talent acquisition annual operating budget and plan resources to execute against hiring goals.
- Facilitates implementation and training of hiring and interview assessment tools and the service level agreement process.
- Participates in the development of new hire on-boarding and processes that support talent retention across UConn Health.
- Participates in strategic discussions with key internal and external partners to continue to remain innovative and forward looking with talent acquisition processes, tools and sourcing.
- Builds and maintains recruiting policies, procedures, and training processes to enhance recruiting effectiveness.
- Evaluates talent recruitment and placement processes to ensure positive interview and onboarding experience.
- Creates opportunities for professional development, individualized training and coaching that support recruitment and retention.
- Works closely with the University offices of Audit, Compliance and Ethics, Institutional Equity, and the state Office of Labor Relations on matters of mutual concern.
- Leverages EEO / AAP/ compliance strategies and goals to ensure EEO compliance and diversity goal achievement.
- Assists the Vice President of Human Resources in the creation and development of policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Principal Duties and Accountabilities
Knowledge, Skill & Ability:
- Serves as a strategic partner with the UConn Health senior team including the Deans of the Schools of Medicine and Dental Medicine to build a world-class culture and successfully implement strategic and innovative human capital solutions across academic, research and clinical areas in collaboration with UConn’s system-wide HR leaders and departments.
- Accountable for providing leadership and mentoring to the following Teams at Farmington: Human Resources Business Partner Team, Talent Acquisition and Support Team, International VISA Administration Team and Talent and Learning Team by building and developing each of these functional areas complimentary of the Chief Human Resources Officer’s and Chief Executive Officer’s strategic goals and operational initiatives including University by-laws.
- Will identify all goals and processes to create the front-end linkage with leaders and employees across the campuses in identifying, prioritizing and building organizational capabilities, behaviors, cross-functional structures and processes related to talent practices, acquisition, diversity and inclusions, organizational design and learning and coaching and by doing so, repositioning the Office of Faculty and Labor Relations within the centralized Department of Employee Relations to their revised collective bargaining responsibilities and downstream deliverables.
- Strategic planning and tactical contemporary HR delivery including the soliciting and review of current and projected human resources needs of all employees of academic, clinical and administrative units; evaluates defined priorities to clarify/reconcile programmatic objectives and scope for institutional alignment with University leadership and other Executor Directors on the HR team in Storrs, and monitors, updates, and communicates adjustments to the plan as needed during the course of the annual cycle.
- With the direct oversight of the Chief Human Resources Officer and Chief Executive Officer of the Health System, the AVP, HR – UCHC collaborates with both these leaders on HR strategy and issues and provides advice and counsel to the Health System’s community on performance management, conflict resolution and Code of Conduct as it applies to the employee daily dynamic and employment relationship - and ensures the University’s interests in employment-related or affiliate- related situations are properly represented and all decisions are consistent and infused with University values and union contracts.
- Serves as a chief advisor to the Chief Human Resources Officer, Chief Executive Officer, and Provost’s Office including the Deans of the School of Medicine and Dental Medicine on human resources matters at Farmington, and collaborates with the centralized HR offices of University Employee Relations/Faculty and Staff Labor Relations and HR Operations while remaining cognizant of the collective bargaining process and agreements at the University and the centralized HR Policy platform.
- Provides coaching and mentoring of HR generalists and all direct reports to further develop talent in the Health System’s HR department and drives beneficial and collaborative relationship with all other HR centers of excellence in Storrs.
- Within the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer, all applicable University Offices and with all State Offices with which the University partners internal and external to HR, this position fosters internal synergies to effectively collaborate and administer HR policies supportive of the University’s and State of Connecticut’s operational mission.
- Works with the Chief Human Resources Officer and Chief Executive Officer to develop the annual operating budget for the position’s area of accountability.
- Assesses the culture of the UConn Health at all times as an arbiter of the success of localized HR at Storrs and Farmington and the greater University’s centralized HR’s strategic plan and vision.
- Provide line management and employees with efficient, timely, and high quality customer service that enforces compliance with human resource policies and federal/state mandates while also fostering a positive work culture.
- Ensures and maintains professional responsibility and stewardship of the University by adhering to ethical standards of professional conduct; acts in a manner consistent with the University’s mission and core values of learning, community, diversity, responsibility, integrity and quality, comprehending and applying all University and departmental policies, procedures and legal requirements relevant to competently fulfilling the requirements specific to the position.
- Primary experience being an HR generalist/leader required with significant conflict resolution, talent acquisition, talent support and talent leadership while maintaining confidentiality.
- Embraces the ambiguity and change that comes from working in a fast-paced academic health care/clinical environments.
- Creative thinker with a bias of sequencing and planning through transformation and execution.
- Exceptional analytical ability including the skill to dig deep into detail while retaining a broad view perspective.
- Significant ability to foster a culture of mutual respect, diversity and inclusion, innovation, employer/employee balance and continuous improvement in the key areas of people management and development.
- Significant knowledge of human resources, training and employment law, regulatory compliance and practices.
- Ability to think analytically and strategically to build consensus and collaborate with individuals from diverse backgrounds at all levels of the institution.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, coordinate and direct the position’s responsibilities of a large, multifaceted institution which is part of a larger public university system.
- Proven skills in examining, developing, proposing and re-engineering culture, budgets and procedures.
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills, as well as strong organizational and management abilities across all levels of an organization.
- Ability to build and foster strong trusting relationships, influence leaders, use negotiation skills and develop solutions to achieve results.
- Acts as a coach and assists managers and employees through difficult conversations and situations; significant mentoring skills.
Minimal Qualifications, Experience and Training
- Undergraduate degree with no less than ten (10) years of broad HR experience with five (5) + years leading HR business partners/Talent Acquisition and Learning & Development teams.
- Experience within highly unionized organizations with a clear tenure of leadership and management of others.
- An MBA or graduate degree in a related discipline.
- Significant experience in senior leadership roles within large matrixed health care or academic health care organizations.
To apply for this position, please visit https://jobs.uchc.edu/CSS_External/CSSPage_Welcome.asp, and reference Search #2020-561.
UConn Health is an affirmative action employer, in addition to an EEO and M/F/V/PWD/PV employer.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at www.ethics.state.ct.us