Graduate Assistant Medical Benefits Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I enroll in insurance coverage through the Connecticut Partnership Plan?
    1. Online at
  1. What is the enrollment period?
    1. The enrollment period is 31 days from the date of hire or qualifying life event.
  1. When can I enroll?
    You may enroll during an initial enrollment period, which is 31 days from your date of hire.  You may also enroll 31 days from the date of a qualifying life event.
  1. Who is eligible for insurance coverage under the Connecticut Partnership Plan at UConn?
    1. You are eligible for this benefit if you have:
      1.  A Graduate Assistantship (paid by Payroll)
      2.  A Graduate Internship
      3.  A Graduate Fellowship as approved by the Graduate School
  1. When is the coverage effective?
    1. Coverage goes into effect the first day of the month following your hire date or qualifying life event date.
  1. Do I need to re-enroll annually if my appointment is continued?
    1. No, there is no need to re-enroll annually if your appointment is continued. Coverage will continue with the elections you have from the previous semester.
  1. What happens if I experience a qualifying life event? (marriage, birth of child, loss of coverage, etc.)
    1. Fill out and submit an online Benefit Change Form within 31 days following life event.
  1. How much does the insurance cost? How do I pay it?
    1. Rates for medical and dental coverage can be found at:
    2. Graduate Assistants & Graduate Interns – Payment is deducted from your paycheck on a bi-weekly basis. Paycheck dates are listed on the Medical and Dental Rates page. Questions regarding your paycheck deductions can be directed to the Payroll Office at 860-486-2423.
    3. Graduate Fellows – Payment is charged to your Fee Bill
  1. What happens when my Assistantship/Fellowship/Internship ends?
    1. Your benefits will terminate on the last day of the month that your appointment ends.
      1. For appointments that end on the last day of the month, coverage will continue through the last day of the following month.
      2. For appointments ending at the conclusion of the Spring Semester end-date, coverage will end on August 31st.
    2. Continuation of Coverage via COBRA – the COBRA Administrator will automatically send a COBRA notice following notification of termination of coverage. The COBRA Administrator for the Partnership Plan is United Healthcare Oxford COBRA Unit at 1-866-747-0048.
  1. What if I switch from an Assistantship to a Fellowship? Vice versa?
    1. Your coverage will continue without interruption, upon verification of your change in status. Those going from an Assistantship to a Fellowship who are expecting coverage to be continued and receive a COBRA notice from the carrier should contact Human Resources at 860-486-3034 for assistance.
    2. Graduate Assistants and Interns pay for premiums via payroll deduction; Graduate Fellows are charged premium via the student fee bill.
  1. What if I want to enroll after my 31 day open enrollment period, or after my qualifying event 31 day enrollment period?
    1. After the 31 days have elapsed, you may only enroll in coverage, and add/drop dependents during Open Enrollment, which is held annually from April 15 through May 15 for a September 1 effective date of the following plan year.
  1. What if I need to change my name and/or address information?
    1. Change of address/name must be updated in both the Student Administration System and Employee Self Service.
  1. How long will it take to get my insurance cards?
    1. Approximately 3 weeks from when you are enrolled with the carrier. Please note that insurance cards will be mailed to the address listed for you in CORE-CT. To confirm, or update the address listed, go to
  1. What if I need to use the insurance before I receive my ID cards?
    1. You may contact your insurance carriers to obtain ID numbers over the phone to use while you wait for your cards in the mail. The insurance provider webpages also have options to print temporary ID cards by registering an account online with your ID number.
    2.  Insurance Provider Contact Information can be found at