Payroll Title: UCP III
Class Code: 0304-9083
Job Family: COM
FLSA Code: N
Under the general supervision of designated supervisor, designs and executes a variety of promotional, educational, technical and informational materials, requiring originality and creativity.
GUIDELINES FOR USING THE POSITION
This position is intended to be for entry level graphic designers and technical illustrators. Incumbents are expected to create their own designs, but projects are seldom complex and finished work is submitted to supervisor or more experienced designers for approval or change. Incumbents will ordinarily work from detailed or specific instructions.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs, sketches, arranges and determines elements of graphics for flyers, posters, brochures, letterheads, reports, logos and other publications.
- Consults with clients concerning design needs, audience goals, desired results and as needed, publisher requirements.
- Creates technical illustrations from scaled drawings to be used for educational publications and presentations; lays out and draws schematic illustrations and diagrams, depicting function, relationships, sequence or other requirements, in accordance with detailed instructions.
- Prepares camera-ready mechanicals for production; prepares layout and paste-up and submits finished work to supervisor for approval or change OR prepares camera-ready technical drawings for reproduction in technical publications and reference works; consults with supervisor regarding methods and techniques suited to specific reproduction process and submits finished work to supervisor for approval or change.
- Designs special projects such as maps, graphs, charts, signs, plaques, awards, from scaled drawings.
- May do photography.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Evidence of creative ability as demonstrated by portfolio.
- Ability to work with clients and meet deadlines.
Date Created: 6/28/85