Payroll Title: UCP I
Class Code: 0128-9081
Job Family: TLR
FLSA Code: N
Under the general supervision of designated supervisor, provides technical assistance to faculty in the care and maintenance of animals and/or plants used in research and teaching
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates propagation/cultivation of mutant and specialized stocks of animals and/or plants.
- Collects and compiles breeding, mating, climate, soil conditions and other data related to genetic stock propagation of animals and/or plants as well as distribution.
- Arranges for distribution and receipt of tissues samples, plants, or animals; prepares animals and/or plants for shipment.
- Participates in lab procedures such as bacteriological testing and collection of tissue and other samples for viral/fungal/arthropod monitoring in order to monitor the general health of animals and/or plants.
- Cleans and sterilizes cages and/or greenhouse growing areas as well as equipment and/or supervises other personnel engaged in these activities.
- May maintain barrier systems for excluding pathogens from animals and/or plants, including mechanical controls, washing and sterilizing of equipment, fungicides, insecticides, and clothing packs.
- Assists researchers with research and laboratory maintenance activities including behavioral and other testing; maintaining facilities; monitoring growth factors such as climate, soil and light; caring for animals and/or plants; keeping inventory; and ordering supplies and equipment as needed.
- Maintains appropriate records and files related to the maintenance of the animals and/or plants.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in appropriate field or equivalent experience and training.
- Familiarity with basic genetic concepts and lab procedures.
- Familiarity with computer record keeping.
Date Created: 06/28/85
Revised: 09/01/99, 08/29/05