The University of Connecticut (UConn), one of the nation’s leading public research universities, seeks a visionary and dynamic leader to serve as its next Campus Director of UConn Stamford. UConn is looking for candidates who can demonstrate exceptional skills and experience that will enable them to provide strong leadership to a research and educational enterprise.
The Campus Director will provide strategic vision and operational leadership to all aspects of the academic and scholarly program at UConn Stamford, setting priorities for the campus and guiding it towards strategic goals of enhancing scholarship, promoting research and outreach, and providing excellence in undergraduate, graduate, and professional education in an academic set-ting with a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We seek a leader who demonstrates a strong commitment to public higher education and will work with faculty and staff to build on the strengths of our diverse student population by implementing programs that provide the resources and support students need. The Campus Director is the campus’s chief advocate, promoting its goals and achievements to the University at large and to industry and community partners, leading its development and fundraising activities, and speaking for its mission of excellence in scholarship, teaching, and public service. The Campus Director will be the campus’s public voice, promoting initiatives within UConn and across the state, strengthening and expanding its role within community associations, and articulating the campus’s contributions at the local, state, regional, national, and international levels. In pursuing these responsibilities, the Campus Director, who reports to the provost, will work collaboratively with the system president and provost and with vice presidents and deans.
The successful candidate will be a nationally recognized, self-assured leader prepared to advance the initiatives and priorities of the University’s academic vision. Candidates will be expect-ed to have a vision for diversity, equity, and inclusion, broaden and support participation among members of under-represented groups; demonstrate through research, teaching, and/or public engagement the commitment to, and support of, diversity in the learning experience; and provide leadership in developing initiatives designed to meet the needs of diverse learning styles and intellectual interests. In addition, the ideal candidate will be dedicated to collaborative governance, will possess a leadership style that values diversity and difference, a sophisticated administrator capable of building strong working relationships, committed to the search for new knowledge, and able to imagine new possibilities for the campus.
The Leadership Opportunity
UConn will welcome a Campus Director who will build on the strengths of the campus as well as develop, organize, and manage new initiatives. The faculty and staff at UConn Stamford are deeply committed to their students, their research, and to public service. The Campus Director will articulate a vision for the campus, defining its role in research and teaching within the University community, the state, and the nation. From that vision, the Campus Director will shape the organization and, with the faculty and staff, configure, create, and grow programs and attract a student body to realize their success.
The Campus Director will make critical contributions to the continued development of the cam-pus. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with the drive, skill, and experience to bring creative leadership to the organization and to play a meaningful role in shaping its future. The new Campus Director will embrace these opportunities, helping to realize the potential of UConn Stamford.
The Campus Director will build on a solid foundation to contribute to the campus and its diverse constituents, as well as the University community at large, to address key challenges and pursue important opportunities.
Specific opportunities include:
- Provide visionary and strategic leadership to UConn Stamford while functioning as part of a larger University system.
- Build on the strengths of the diverse student population by implementing programs that provide the resources students need as well as support diversity, equity, and inclusion for students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Create a vision for engaging campus stakeholders in fostering growth in a city that serves as a gateway to the State.
- Build and develop local relationships that acknowledge responsiveness to the City of Stamford, while creating opportunities for internships and employment for students.
- Promote an environment that supports individual student growth and achievement for a growing and diverse student population.
- Provide creative solutions to challenges in an evolving/post pandemic higher education market.
- Hire, guide, and support excellent faculty and staff in partnership with vice presidents, deans, and department heads.
- Oversee financial decisions and create clear and efficient processes, staffing, and structures.
- Support and promote a diverse and inclusive culture that appreciates diversity in all its forms.
- Help to articulate the University-wide vision and identify additional sources of revenue.
- Cultivate opportunities for development and fundraising.
- Pursue strategies to sustain and grow enrollments while maintaining quality and student-centered mission.
The Position and Responsibliities
Reporting to the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Campus Director of UConn Stamford ensures the effective and efficient management of the campus, including overseeing day-to-day operations, administration, facilities, and resources, with the aim of fostering a community and learning environment appropriate for a leading research university. In accordance with the Provost’s priorities and guidance, the Campus Director also collaborates with academic deans and departments in determining the focus, development, staffing, and execution of academic priorities and programs at the campus. In addition, the Campus Director develops relationships with key community partners and stakeholders that advance and sustain mutual interests.
- In partnership with department heads, deans, and senior university administrators, assure the campus environment appropriately enables and supports academic goals, objectives, and programs.
- Foster diversity, equity, and inclusion for students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Partner with faculty, staff, and students to maintain a climate of civility and collegiality through effective communication and a strong commitment to enhancing the quality and diversity of the campus population.
- Collaborate with the Vice President for Enrollment Management to recruit and retain high-caliber students. Develop and nurture relationships with K-12 schools, community colleges, and other educational institutions to recruit these quality students to UConn and increase enrollment of qualified students to UConn Stamford.
- Collaborate with the Department of Public Safety, Facilities Operations and Building Services, University Information Technology Services, and Planning, Architectural, and Engineering Services to assure a safe, secure, productive working environment for the conduct of research and instructional activities.
- Collaborate with UConn Stamford faculty, academic department heads, and academic deans to identify instructional needs and provide input in recruiting, hiring, and managing faculty.
- Prepare and manage UConn Stamford’s annual operating budget. Prioritize the allocation of resources to support the university’s academic mission and plan.
- Collaborate with the UConn Foundation to develop new and steward existing donor relations to support the campus mission.
- In support of university and campus priorities, develop capital improvement proposals. Assess the need for and make recommendations about equipment acquisitions and facilities renovations and upgrades.
- Provide leadership, direction, and oversight to campus employees, including hiring, evaluation, professional development, discipline, training, and promotion of all direct reports. Represent the campus in labor-related procedures.
- In support of University goals and priorities, promote UConn Stamford through communications and public relations efforts critical to the success of the campus, including building relationships and partnerships with alumni, civic, youth, historical, financial services industry, museum, arts, and other groups and organizations.
- Engage with local, state, and federal leaders and with the local civic community.
- Assure UConn Stamford offers a positive learning environment and students receive appropriate support services. Coordinate closely with university offices to enhance access to course offerings including through on-line education, assure programs available to meet the needs of various student groups, and assure the campus operates in accordance with University-wide policies and practices regarding student conduct, disability services, counseling and mental health services, behavioral threat assessment, and other important student affairs functions.
- Support senior leadership to promote UConn Stamford with the governor and state legislators.
- Perform other duties as required.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
- Masters or other graduate degree.
- At least five years of senior administrative experience including demonstrated knowledge of core management functions and clear experience with managing strategic priorities, human resource management, and budgeting and fiscal management.
- Demonstrated commitment to accessible high quality public higher education.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop, engage, and maintain constructive and professional relationships with students, faculty, staff, alumni, campus supporters, residents of area communities, and other individuals and organizations.
- Demonstrated commitment to enhance the diversity of the campus population, including assessing needs, developing equity and inclusion initiatives, and applying best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, understand, and interpret complex situations and prob-ems, evaluate options, devise, and propose solutions that align resources with goals, implement plans, and measure outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in a diverse organization. Excellent writ-ten and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate the campus’s needs, plans, and programs effectively.
- Credentials that merit appointment for a tenure-track academic appointment, including a terminal degree. Equivalent foreign degrees are acceptable.
- Experience as an academic leader in higher education, preferably public higher education.
- Background and experience pertinent to the unique programs and setting of the Stamford campus, including a clear understanding of the academic mission of a regional campus located in a larger university system whose primary goal is delivery of quality undergraduate and graduate education.
- Experience as an agent of innovation and change, achieving excellence across a complex organization.
Appointment Terms and Terms and Conditions of Employment
This is a full-time, 12-month, management-confidential position with an anticipated start date of August 23, 2022. The successful candidate may be considered for a 9-month, tenure-track academic appointment in one of the University’s schools/colleges.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Terms and Conditions of Employment
Employment at the University of Connecticut is contingent upon the successful candidate’s compliance with the University’s Mandatory Workforce COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. This Pol-icy states that all workforce members are required to have or obtain a Covid-19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment at UConn, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
Nomination & Application Process
The University of Connecticut has retained the services of the executive search firm Parker Executive Search to conduct this important search. All inquiries, nominations/referrals, and applications will be held in the strictest confidence and should be submitted to the search firm.
- A cover letter, articulating interest and responding to the position challenges and objectives out-lined above;
- Cover letter should include a robust statement on the candidate’s familiarity and comfort with diversity, equity, and inclusion and examples of their leadership in those domains
- Curriculum vitae;
- Names and contact information for 3-4 professional references.
Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to February 7, 2022.
Laurie C. Wilder, President
Porsha L. Williams, Vice President
Jacob Anderson, Senior Principal
Parker Executive Search Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875 Atlanta, GA 30328
email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
(678) 775-4563 | (678) 775-4564
For more information regarding UConn Stamford, please visit the campus website.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural, and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations and should be submitted to the search firm at https://www.parkersearch.com/current-opportunities/university-connecticut/director-stamford-campus.