Eligibility to apply for a professional development fund award is contingent upon your agreement to the Professional Development Fund Award Terms & Conditions outlined below. Should you have questions or concerns regarding the information presented on this page, please contact the UCPEA office for guidance. The application form is available at the bottom of this page.
Professional Development Fund Terms and Conditions
Approved Use of Fund Awards:
- Professional development funds can be used for conferences, workshops and/or training programs; when management requires the employee to obtain work related training, it shall be paid for by the University.
- Funds can also be used for reimbursement of professional membership dues/fees. Funds cannot be used for licensed renewals, certifications, re-certifications, admission fees or standardized tests.
Submitting an Application:
To be considered for a professional development award, your application must be:
- Submitted by the UCPEA member who will be personally using the professional development funds.
- Submitted at least 45 days prior to the activity start date (travel date) for professional development activities.
- Submitted at least 30 days prior to the payment due date for professional memberships.
Confirmation of Received Application:
Upon submitting your application, you will receive an auto-generated e-mail from HR on SharePoint stating that your application has been received. Please keep this e-mail for your records.
For the current fiscal year (7/1/2019 to 6/30/2020), the maximum allowable award limit is $1000 per applicant, (inclusive of all awards received within the fiscal year).
- Up to $1000 may be used for conferences, workshops and training.
- Up to $300 may be used for professional memberships.
Review of Applications:
To ensure the fairness of the professional development award review process, the UCPEA Professional Issues Committee reserves the right to deny fund requests, or revoke awarded funds where it deems necessary, due to violations of program terms and/or procedures.
The following procedures will be followed as applications are reviewed:
- Applications will be reviewed monthly, by the Professional Issues Committee, in the order they are received.
- Fund awards will be granted only to maximum allowable limits within the fiscal year.
- Upon review of your application, you will receive an e-mail from HR on SharePoint with the committee's decision.
- Direct any inquiries regarding the status of your application to the UCPEA office.
Fund Award Reimbursement Guidelines:
Professional development fund awards are paid out via travel reimbursement through the UConn travel office. To ensure timely reimbursement, please follow the following guidelines:
- For any professional development activity or membership dues payment, you must request reimbursement within sixty (60) days of the activity end date (travel date) or dues payment date. Reimbursement requests submitted beyond sixty (60) days of the activity end date (travel date) or dues payment date may not be honored.
- Should you receive an award, instructions on how to obtain fund reimbursement will be included in an e-mail outlining your award. The e-mail will be sent via HR on SharePoint. Contact the UCPEA office if you have questions about obtaining your award.